- The results of this study may be influenced by medications that increase testosterone. If you have any doubts about this, you can always contact us
- To get the best picture of your testosterone levels, it is best to have your blood taken in the morning. It is therefore recommended that you make an appointment at your injection location before 10 a.m. .
What is testosterone?Testosterone is an important sex hormone and occurs in both men and women. This hormone plays an important role in various physical processes. In men, testosterone is important for the development of male sexual characteristics. In boys, it therefore ensures growth, a deeper voice, body hair, and the development of the sexual organ during puberty. Men also have an normal amount of testosterone is needed to be fertile and ensures muscle development.
Testosterone is also present in girls and women, but in lesser amounts. When the amount of testosterone is higher in women , this can cause symptoms such as excessive body hair, irregular menstruation, voice change, acne, or hair loss.
What do we determine during the testosterone test?The testosterone test examines the total amount of testosterone present in the blood. The values differ for men and women and also depend on age.
The results of this study may reveal various conditions. When the amount of testosterone is lower, this can indicate, for example, chronic diseases, delayed puberty or problems with fertility. A high amount of testosterone may be due to, among other things, early puberty or a tumor. In women this can also indicate PCOS.
When to opt for a testosterone test?It may be wise to have your testosterone tested when:
- There are complaints such as infertility, erectile dysfunction or a reduced libido
- As a woman you have male characteristics, such as a low voice or excess hair
- As a woman, you suffer from complaints such as acne or hair loss
- As an athlete you want to get an idea of your testosterone values